Monday, April 25, 2011

So That's What a Cache Container Looks Like!

Some of my readers have been asking me what cache containers look like.  Well, there are many different kinds, shapes and sizes.

These are basic ammo cans...




A large, cammo'd tube...  These are often hung from a tree branch or a fence.


Yes, a plastic pickle jar.  This was hidden in a tree stump.

A film container.....


A plastic, cammo'd tupperware container.  This is why we say we are searching for "Tupperware in the woods!"
A little wooden treasure chest.....


A preform container.  This looks like a test tube with electrical tape wrapped around it.

I loved this next one - it was a custom made container, out of plastic PVC pipe and wrapped in cammo tape.  This was hidden in a fallen tree in the forest.



This next one was a little container that looked like a cat....  It was hidden outside a Chuck E. Cheese restaurant.

One cache owner had several of these containers custom made with these logo's on them....

This was another good one - it was a custom made plastic light bulb, attached with a magnet (with permission) to the rear of an office building, about 6 ft. high.  Really clever!


And this one is a cammo'd lock and lock container - which is just like a fancy tupperware container.



So there you have it - a nice selection of different cache containers, but they are certainly not limited to what you see here.  The more you cache, the more different kinds you will find.

Please visit the official geocaching site and read thru this page:
http://www.geocaching.com/about/finding.aspx

It gives you lots of great information on getting started.   I suggest you start with something close to home, with a terrain and dificulty rating of 1/1.  Maybe something in a park or near a restaurant.  These are easier to do at first and can be done without a GPS unit.  Just remember to use stealth, and come back and let me know what you found!  Happy caching!

5 comments:

  1. You know, my boys did do this once on a Boy Scout camping trip. I was leading most of the activities so I stayed at camp and did preparation while one of the dads took the group out. Now I wish I would have gone!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cousin is a boy scout leader and he takes his boys out caching and I think the boy scouts just made geocaching an official badge. I actually think your kids would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These folks are so clever, I love the cat! I'm going to do this, but of course now the heat and humidity has started, drat. My least favorite time of the year here in Florida. I tend to stay inside and the a/c is my best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look pretty cool!

    I'm going to guess that ammo can is as in ammunition? and cammo'd is camouflage?

    I'm definitely going to have to look into this hobby once I can free some time up! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris: Yes, you are correct on both counts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...