Tuesday, April 24, 2012

More Turtle Shells

A couple of weeks ago I posted about the different treasures we find around Kentucky Lake.  If you missed that post, you can go back and read it here.  At the end of that week, we found 3 more turtle shells laying along shore.  All of them had dead turtles still stuck inside.  We took the turtle shells back to the lake house and placed them in the garden.  I put a bucket on top of them, and then a brick on top of the bucket so no wild animals would get to them.

Yesterday, just shy of 4 weeks, I went and checked them and all the turtle bits had been picked clean by the bugs.  I took the shells and dipped them in a little bleached water and then scrubbed them up with an old toothbrush.  Look at the nice shells I have now!


5 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm slightly grossed out and turtle remains and bugs, but the shells are really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never thought of that technique to clean animal remains, brilliant! Using nature the right way! :o)

    Pity I live in an apartment in a city so couldn't do it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finds. They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your shells! I never find the dead ones, just very alive turtles. We have several varieties of turtles here, and I don't recall seeing one with their shell shaped this way.

    Such a cool collection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An icky process with excellent results. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...