Tuesday, September 16, 2014

How to Make a Memory Box

A couple of months ago I purchased a wooden box at an estate sale.  I thought it might be a large recipe box because it was 9" x 6 1/2" x 6 1/2".   I didn't know what I was going to do with it, but I bought it, tossed it on a shelf and kept running ideas through my mind.




Last week I finally had an idea and thought I'd try making a Memory Box out of it.  You know, to hold concert tickets, movie stubs, flower petals....that sort of thing.  First I cleaned it up and gave it a light sanding....




And then I gave it a quick coat of white acrylic paint inside and out....


And then I painted the entire thing with 2 coats of lavender and distressed it afterwards.   I took a couple of sheets of rose paper and used polycyclic to adhere them to the inside of the box...


I also printed out a saying about making memories onto a piece of rainbow paper and lightly burned the edges.  I then used polycyclic to attach it to the top of the box and applied polycyclic to the entire outside of the box as well.



Then I went to work on the outside of the box with various pieces of vintage lace from my stash, lacy flowers, buttons and pearls....





And remember that ring I bought last weekend at a garage sale?  The one with the stretchy band that I cut off?  I used it here.....


All finished, except I may go back and add a lock and key to the front of it.  This Memory Box was easy to make and it's going to be a Christmas present for someone special in my family.  I hope she likes it.


16 comments:

  1. What a charming memory box. I love the color and embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute idea! That ring is the perfect touch too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is so pretty and the perfect color. I love finding wooden boxes but I never change them....you know me! lol I need to learn to paint! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I need a craft day together my friend. And a hiking day. xo

      Delete
  4. Love how the box turned out! I'm sure the recipient will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope so. Now I have to put it away for 3 months. First Christmas present done!

      Delete
  5. That is such a great idea and you did such a wonderful job. It is very pretty Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely gift. I have several of these plain boxes - maybe Christmas gift ideas? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - that's what this one will be. First Christmas present of the season is officially done!

      Delete
  7. Very pretty, I love the paper you used on the inside. Thanks so much for sharing at the Make it Monday Party! Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice box, and it looks like a fun project! Thanks for sharing it at Revisionary Life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun craft! Thanks for sharing @ TTF!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...