Tuesday, September 8, 2015

My Refinished Desk

Last week Louie found an old neglected desk and he knew I was going to want it. You can see that post here.   We loaded up this little beauty and brought it straight home.  She was strong and sturdy and had great lines and look at those legs....



Unfortunately she was badly dried out, very dirty and quite stained....


But I could see potential....


 I was itching to get started on her.  I dragged her out into the driveway and when I went back inside to grab my apron, Louie started sanding down the top.  Apparently he was itching to get his hands on her too.   It sanded up really nicely...


While Louie was doing that I took all the drawers and washed them out with some hot soapy water and set them in the sun to dry.  After all the sanding was finished, I applied a coat of stain to the entire desk, as well as the drawers.  I always stain inside the drawers as well - I just like the way that looks and it covers up a lot of imperfections.




Then I gave everything 2 coats of polyurethane and did 4 coats on the top for extra protection.  Isn't she beautiful?


I just love the color...




Check out the legs - they look like they're ready for dancing....


I had removed and cleaned up the Lion drawer pulls.  They look like brand new...


She is now sitting in my office and I have all my jewelry making supplies close at hand.  It's the perfect desk for that!  I like sitting in front of the window where I get nice natural light while I'm working...


What did you make over this weekend?

Speaking of jewelry - I'm making cuff bracelets if anyone is interested.  They make great gifts for someone or even for yourself.

My cuffs with beachy themes are popular here and here.

 I can do custom bracelets too.  Other favorites are ones with your blog name or ETSY Shop name.  Stop by my shop and take a look.  Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

24 comments:

  1. Wow! Day and night transformation! Love the drawer pulls and claw feet. Super job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I thought the drawer pulls were very cool and just perfect for me.

      Delete
  2. OMGosh, girl!!! you guys did a fabulous job on that gorgeous desk! I LOVE it, Kim!! what a labor of love that must have been.
    Love you.
    Debbie
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sweetie - i have the best time working on stuff like this. Sending you lots of hugs today. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks AnnMarie. I love taking something and fixing it up so it can be used and enjoyed again.

      Delete
  4. Wow!!! Your desk must have felt like Cinderella being readied for the ball. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I love the color as well. SO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Thanks Vicky. I feel like it loves being used again. :-)

      Delete
  6. Hi Kim! :)
    You did an amazing job on this desk! I know how much work it was to sand and then put all those coats on...but it paid off because it is beautiful now! I love the feet and have a couple of furniture pieces with feet similar. I have never seen lion pulls like those before, so regal! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Lion pulls since I'm a Leo - it seemed perfect! I think it was a sign. :-)

      Delete
  7. Kim, she is beautiful! I think she is better even than I imagined she would be. I love the idea of staining inside the drawers. I might have to try that next time. Great great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I always stain the inside of the drawers. I also stain the sides of the drawers on the outside. It makes a huge difference.

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous! Simply lovely. What a nice piece... it will add grace to any room. Thanks so much for sharing it with Let's Talk Vintage!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I'm pretty happy with it myself. :-)

      Delete
  9. Wow, it sure turned out beautiful!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing restoration job you did. Most people would have walked away from this, but you knew just how to tackle it. Love it! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...