Monday, March 21, 2016

PapaNonny Reach 2500 Geocaches

Last week my parents reached a new geocaching milestone - 2500 geocaches!

We were in Kentucky and mom chose Last One Standing  for their milestone cache.


St. Stephen's Church was originally built in 1900 and served the community until 1945.

It was empty and ignored for years and was then overlooked when the Land Between The Lakes Area was formed in 1963.

The Church stood vacant and deteriorating until 2000, when volunteers donated over 3800 hours of their time to restore the church to its original design and construction.


Today the doors remain unlocked so anyone can enter and visit.





We had to travel down an old winding, rarely used road for over a mile in order to reach the church.


Let's just say I'm glad I have a truck with 4 wheel drive!


But the jolting ride was well worth the effort.



The geocache was hidden down the hill near the church....


I think it was a fitting cache for mom and dad's 2500th milestone, don't you?


17 comments:

  1. What a beautiful church. You guys take the most amazing trips! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to find caches that take us to interesting places.

      Delete
  2. Congrats! Like that last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to your Mom and Dad! What a beautiful church. I know you were glad to find it! What a great trip, what fun! I love the fact that the church is open like they all used to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised that it was open like that, but then, it's out in the middle of nowhere too. :-)

      Delete
  4. Congrats to your parents! What a cute little church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really cute little church. Very quaint.

      Delete
  5. Continually amazed by this activity of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take us to some really cool places, doesn't it?

      Delete
  6. Way to go to this amazing couple! I know you are so proud of them and it's such a fun thing for you all to do together. One of these days we would love to do it. We need someone that likes to climb trees to go with us! heehee! Happy Spring sweet friend. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time I see your posts on geocaching I really want to try it!! I did look it up and there are places to do it in my area. Thanks for the inspiration again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days you are going to try it - it's very addicting tho. :-)

      Delete
  8. Congrats to your mom and dad on that amazing milestone! Such a pretty church...I just love all of your adventures, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely church and setting! And nice place for a milestone geocache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too. We always try to find a nice cache for a milestone.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...